View Single Post
Old 06-09-2020, 09:34 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

1967 highs second sheet array is unconfirmed, 9 rows are unknown still. I've been looking through a lot of old hobby pubs back to the 60's for the origins of the 1966 and 1967 high number SP's and haven't found much going into the 1978-79 publishing era. A lot of series and SP info was developed after the first Beckett-Eckes guide came out in 1979 (after two years of Beckett surveys on set pricing had been published in The Trader Speaks in 1977 and then a year later) and also when Lew Lipset started tracking individual card values around late 1976. It's not always correct either.

The idea that the 4th series in 1952 ended at #252 persisted for years, as did the 1967 Brooks Robinson SP. The idea of the 1967 6th series Perez SP has been around for a while, I think that series is also 77 cards like the highs that years.In addition to Beckett's surveys and Lipset's star card pricing, Card Collectors Co. was selling 5,000 count lots of high numbers too in 1977 (the September TTS had the last big blowout ---see attached ad--but smaller lots of 1,000 persisted into March of 1978.) They had 67's but never 66's in this kind of quantity. A number of these cases and large lots were bought by other dealers. I suspect a lot of SP info came about as these were dispersed into the hobby as they had cases upon cases of low numbers too. The birth of star and high number pricing, etc. was only a couple of years in the past for the most part an the hobby was on a major upswing during 1977-78 (three other non-Beckett guides had also come out by then) so a lot of stuff got looked at more closely around that time but it took several years to somewhat sort it all out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sept 77 TTS CCC Massiave Topps Blowout Sale Page 9.jpg (78.5 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by toppcat; 06-09-2020 at 09:58 PM.