View Single Post
Old 06-04-2020, 12:07 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

As a colletor who used to run email auctions (back when that was done), I would lose things back even in my twenties. I had two signed photos and I have no idea whatever happened to them. When you have an auction of 800 lots, it's almost impossible to misplace something, but something in the wrong pile or whatever. It had nothing to do with my cognition or memory.

It likely happens to many other people, including big auction houses. It's just not something they are going to come out and tell the hobby.

If you are handling many things, and submissions, etc, losing something and missing something is likely to be expected, and very well may have zero to do with cognitive decline.

A neurologist said that if you are doing more things, multitasking, thinking about more thing, you're going to forget more things. It's a matter of percentages, not lesser brain capacity or cognition.

It's like passwords/usernames and forgetting them. The human brained wasn't evolved to remember lots of passwords and usernames. Forgetting them is perfectly natural. All these passwords and usernames to remember is an artificial product of modern society. But that's why people write them down somewhere or otherwise keep them on record.

Just work on a system to help fix it. "One trick that works for me (it took discipline and practice) was to designate very specific areas for things to go: everything has its place." This is good advice.

Last edited by drcy; 06-04-2020 at 12:32 PM.