View Single Post
Old 05-09-2020, 12:54 PM
Marc

Greg- I see that now. Your red Astros and my red Astros have a different font.

Rob- I did end up getting some "Retro Clean" detergent from Amazon, and used it to try to clean up the Canteen Corp Oilers pennant below. It wasn't an expensive pennant and I figured that I was experimenting. I was most interested in getting off the brownish spots that looked like foxing to me. I used a small spoon to try to get the detergent/water mix on the felt, but not the paint. I ended up getting a drip on the helmet, which turned into a mess. The helmet and football are painted off-white. The detergent took the off-whie away and left just white. So, I tried to go down to the white level on the entire helmet, with mixed results. I'm ok with the results given that I knew I would probably mess it somehow. I was happy with the ability of the retro clean to significantly reduce the brown spots (on a color pennant) with just 5 or so minutes of soaking before a water rinse. I think the best solution is to try to wait for a clean pennant to become available. But some of these thin, lighter-color fabric pennants always seem yellowed, browned, and dirty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marc red Astros.jpg (63.4 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg Greg red astors.jpg (55.1 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg Oliers canteen dirty.jpg (75.2 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg Oilers canteen cleaned.jpg (75.8 KB, 165 views)

Last edited by bocca001; 05-09-2020 at 04:52 PM.