View Single Post
Old 05-03-2020, 10:54 AM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

So what I think the sequence is -
1) Incorrect plate with no copyright
2) Correct plate with copyright
3? 2A?) The copyright ends up coming off the mask, leaving a nice rectangular hole, which since it's like the light part of the negative ends up as a printed area.
4) That problem is found, and the mask repaired.

Alternately-
A lot of the elements are sent as sort of clip art negatives. Including the copyright notices, and they're added individually.
except one gets forgotten, leaving the same sort of hole.
1) plate with the bar
2)Darn! can't send them out like that! Tape over that thing and make a new plate right away! = No bar, no copyright
3) Guys! it has to have a copyright! How long have we been printing them without it? Ummm….. Ok, I'll have stripping send you a new plate right away. = corrected version with copyright.
This is very helpful info and much appreciated. It seems a very likely explanation for the card from a production error perspective and it may be all that there is to it. Have you completely ruled out there being a non-production-error reason to add, cover and/or remove the copyright line? Do you think there is any chance that the removal of the copyright was the final version?

I am not certain I can rule out other possibilities for the changes yet. I find it very unusual that Oliva, the only "fabricated card" of the TBC subjset that required a new card to be mocked-up had these issues while the other TBC cards on the same sheet (in close proximity to the Oliva), did not. This may be nothing but hard to ignore that there could be some connection to it.

After reading George Vrechek's interview with Mike Jasperson, I sent Mike an email in hopes that he had any info on the card. I'm doubtful that he would recall the card in any way but a lead on the production proof of the card could be very helpful and worth following. I dp recall several years back when Topps Vault was very active on ebay, regularly looking for proofs of the Oliva and coming up empty.

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr