View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 07:18 PM
J0hn H@rper

Default Bigger lifetime project: '52 through '85 Topps and '51 Bowman sets

Given the accelerated pace that I've picked up '52s in the last few months, I've started to think even bigger (as far as a more "lifetime" project):

A complete run of '52 to '85 Topps sets. Along with a '51 Bowman. It would be amazing to have all of that to flip through. Covering my dad's childhood up to the early part of my own. The golden years of quality vintage. Nostalgia overload. Always been a complete set junkie anyway.

It would likely be somewhere in the range of grade 1.5-4 up to 6-7, gradually increasing as they get newer. Many will be bought complete when it happens, cause even though set building is fun, the extra cost from doing it that way (for most issues) irks me.

The total cost at current market prices would be around $70 k to almost $100 k, depending on how things end up within my grade range; as with most of my collection, getting the best value in said range is the goal, rather than more rigid expectations. Not an easy feat! No rush. Especially since all those '52 highs won't get here anytime soon.

I'm not going to chart this regularly like with my '52 stuff. Maybe an occasional update. So far I have the following (there's also my grade 3-4ish '55 Bowman set aside from this cause, well, I like the TVs)

'52 Topps (grade 1.5-4.5): just over halfway done, but no key high numbers

'53 Topps (grade 1.5): complete

'55 Topps (grade 3-5): complete

'56 Topps (grade 1.5-6): halfway, low grade Mantle.

'75 Topps (grade 4-6): complete

'78 Topps (grade 6): complete

'80-'85 Topps: lots of it, will have to check my childhood stuff

I asked this when I started my '52 as well, but has anyone taken this project on?

Last edited by cardsagain74; 04-27-2020 at 07:27 PM.