View Single Post
Old 03-30-2020, 09:28 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1961 Victoria/Ardmore Rosebuds

The Orioles Class AA affiliate in 1961 was the Victoria Rosebuds. They played in the Texas League. On May 27th, the Rosebuds moved from Victoria, Texas to Ardmore, Oklahoma. The Rosebuds were 18-25 during their time in Victoria and 39-58 in Ardmore, for a combined record of 57-83.

The closest I've come to anything from the Victoria period, is an away program from Amarillo, when they played the Gold Sox. The Rosebuds played in Amarillo from May 27-29, so the insert roster sheet is likely the last time they were identified as Victoria. A couple future Yankkes played that day, Jim Bouton and Joe Pepitone.

SCAN8086.jpg SCAN8087.jpg

Here's the program from Ardmore. It's not mine, but the owner knows I want it badly. I don't have a very good poker face.

1961 Ardmore Rosebuds.jpg

Team members to make it to Baltimore included George Staller (Manager), Dave McNally (his pro debut), John Miller, Pete Ward, Mickey McGuire and Jim Fridley

1962 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook (Staller, George).jpg 1962 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook (McNally, Dave).jpg

1962 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook (Miller, John).jpg 1962 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook (Ward, Pete).jpg

McGuire, Mickey.jpg Fridley, Jim 1.jpg

Other future or former Orioles included Charley Beamon, Buster Narum, Bob Nelson, John Papa and Frank Zupo

Attachment 391453