View Single Post
Old 03-30-2020, 12:04 AM
Erik

Default Hey, pennant guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
A few months ago we debated the meaning of certain marks found on 1970s pennants: namely "VET" and "M." Nobody really had a clear answer. My opinion then, as now, is that these were likely concessionaire's marks rather than maker's marks.

The below Dodgers pennant was made in the late 1960s, early 1970s. It exists in three different variants. The first shows the ASCO maker's mark. My presumption is ASCO made all variants of this pennant. Three other variations exist: blank; "VET"; and "M."

I just bought the "M" variant. The owner shared with me, in passing, that he/she purchased it in the 1970s at Riverfront Stadium.

I recall baseball Rob owning a similar Giants pennant bearing the same "M" thereon. He's also from Ohio. Might this "M" have been an Ohio retailer?

Unfortunately for my theory, it appears that Riverfront Stadium's concessionaire was Sportservice when it opened in 1970. And, to my knowledge, Sportservice never utilized a concessionaire's mark resembling an "M".

So whatever this "M" means, it may have something to do with Ohio. And that "VET" one may, in fact, have something to do with Veteran's Stadium/Philadelphia after all.

When I read this post yesterday, it reminded me of a pennant I once owned with ‘Canteen Corp’ located on it. And as I went back to find a photo of it, I revisited a message football Rob sent me indicating your https://pennantfever.weebly.com blog referenced the company as a concessionaire.

I finally was able to spent some time today reading most of the pennant manufactures’ history. First, the content is amazing. The time, passion, and articulation is second to none. I learned so much about a hobby I really enjoy - it makes me appreciate it even more. And I think a few of my pennants are pictured. Specially, when I was reading about Trench, the lack of consistency using maker’s marks, mark variations, and how competitors often copied design, it was apparent to me why so many subtle differences exist. This was also emphasized in the ADFLAG ‘copycat’ section.

To my point, has anybody else noticed this slight variations on some football ‘number 12’ pennants? I used to own two NY Giants pennants, you’ll notice the forth and smallest players have different numbers (10 and 12). It also looks like in the Trench section of the blog, the ‘number 12’ pennant - Notre Dame example - the forth and smallest player may have number 35? Additionally, the ‘N’ on New York is seems slightly different on each. Finally, the left foot of the main player also appears to be slightly different on each pennant, too (you may have to zoom in on the first photo)

Any thoughts or theories about this? Do you think Trench made all these pennants (the two Giants pennants both have tassels) or would a copycat version slipped in? It’s interesting to me that the least visible player was the one altered. But maybe this was common practice? Sorry if this was discussed before.

Last edited by erikc21; 03-30-2020 at 12:20 AM.