View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 02:00 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Sports Illustrated

Day 89 (March 29, 2020 – 089)

I think Brooks was only pictured on the cover of four Sports Illustrated magazines over the years starting with an August 31, 1964 cover. The 1964 SI cover pictures Brooks coming home with White Sox catcher Gerry McNertney blocking the plate with Orioles Earl Robinson viewing the play. To me just a great action photograph by Herb Scharfman. The Orioles/White Sox/Yankees were all in a tight pennant race in 1964 and looking back who really cares who came out on top…

Sports Illustrated August 31, 1964

Day 89 a SI.jpg

The second cover pictures Brooks and Frank published just one day after the Orioles sweep the Dodgers in the 1966 World Series. The great photo was taken by photographer John Zimmerman.

Sports Illustrated October 10, 1966

Day 89 b SI.jpg

Third cover comes during the 1969 World Series with the Mets. Cover shows Brooks at 3rd with Rod Gaspar at bat swinging away and Elrod Hendricks catching. The cover reads, “Oriole Brooks Robinson Challenges the Mets”.

Sports Illustrated October 20, 1969

Day 89 c SI.jpg

The last cover shows Brooks along with some other Orioles and Reds players during the 1970 World Series. The article inside was entitled, “Flying Start of the Big Bad Birds”. Of course by the time the magazine came out the Orioles had already won the 1970 Series.

I liked Earl’s answer to a question a reporter asked “What’s the difference between your team this year and last?” Earl’s response, “Nothing”.

Sports Illustrated October 19, 1970

Day 89 d SI.jpg