View Single Post
Old 03-07-2020, 08:01 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Bill,

I love those old team photos, especially some of the surprise gems they contain. Great photo. Have you ever shared it with the Ripkens?
Alan...

I neglected to mention that the manager of that '49 club was Al Campanis, who would later become the Dodgers GM (as well as part of that ABC Night Line controversy in '87 which justifiably cost him his job).

Yes, I have shared it with them...A few years back I was part of a function that everyone was there (including "Uncle Bill") & we all spoke about his playing career..Had him sign a ball for me as well.

Cal Sr.'s older brother, Oliver was a fine player as well (he was a catcher) who turned down a signing opportunity with the Pirates...Both Ollie & Bill were members of the Aberdeen team in the Susquehanna Valley League (good semi pro league) and they told stories of Cal Sr. being the bat boy...They had suspected their signs were being stolen, so they gave the responsibilities of giving the signs to Sr. because no one would suspect that the Bat Boy was the one relaying them!

Last edited by roarfrom34; 03-07-2020 at 08:47 AM.