View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 02:15 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Let's get behind the Birds!

Day 51 (February 20, 2020 – 051)

This is a 1968 “Let’s get behind the Birds!” premium photo. The only one facing front in the photo is none other than Earl Weaver. To me it’s a great concept whoever thought of the slogan and the player arrangement. Now, here’s the interesting fact about this photo; it has several things changed or touched up including who was in the photo. Why did they do this you say? Well, the Orioles were doing a billboard campaign with the slogan “Let’s Get Behind the Birds” and there had been some changes to some of the team members since the original photo was taken. I will not go into everything that was changed, but that is really NOT Earl Weaver facing forward; it’s Hank Bauer. The artist took an Earl Weaver head shot and put it on Bauer’s body. That’s actually Earl Weaver in the photo with HARDIN #44 on his back. Weaver replaced Bauer as manager at the All-Star break and they needed him facing front for the billboard campaign. The up-to-date portrait graced billboards around the Baltimore area during the second half of the 1968 season.

1968 “Let’s get behind the Birds!” premium photo

Day 51 a 1.jpg

I just happen to have a photograph of the 1968 Orioles team photo taken my Mort Tadder; the same photo above without the artists modifications. If you’d like you can go through and see for yourself the changes that were made to the photo; be my guest. I know there were quite a few changes.

1968 Orioles team photo

Day 51 b.jpg

Quote: "I don't think, in all the years I managed them, I ever spoke more than thirty words to Frank (Robinson) and Brooks Robinson." - Earl Weaver