View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 04:22 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Norman Rockwell

Day 24 (January 24, 2020 – 024)

Norman Rockwell was an American painter who was best known for his cover illustrations of everyday life for The Saturday Evening Post magazine. In 1971 Rockwell painted Brooks in a painting called, “Gee, Thanks Brooks”. Shows Brooks autographing a baseball for a young fan, like he’s done millions of times, with fans in the background (including Rockwell).

I don’t know if you guys know it or not, probably do, but Brooks is naturally left-handed. You can see in the painting and if you ever had anything signed by him he writes with his left hand. Davey Johnson, who played second base for the Orioles, when Robinson was the third baseman, had something to say about Brooks being left-handed. Davey said, “I looked at Brooks and thought to myself, ‘He’s the best defensive third baseman of all time, and he writes with his left hand.’ So, I wrote with my left hand for a year hoping that it would make me a better defensive second baseman. It didn’t work.”

I tried to post a large nicely framed ATO (Rawlings) Norman Rockwell poster rendition for Clint, but just couldn't get it from not being sideways. So, we'll have to go with a not so nice version of my poster. I have to get one of these framed and up on the wall someday.

Norman Rockwell print of “Gee, Thanks Brooks”:

Day 24.jpg

I"m sure you’ll see more of this same Rockwell image in the coming year…