View Single Post
Old 12-20-2019, 10:25 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
One thing I notice about almost all of the pennants from this series is that they have a generic baseball scene somewhere on the pennant. Swinging hitter, sliding runner, maybe just crossed bats. All but the Senators, that is … two versions shown below and neither has them. So I think the SF Giants might be from another maker, who just decided to use the Giant logo … which probably makes it even more cool, not less. I love the font used for the name.

Awhile back I posted this pic which comes from the back of a book published back in 1956 … Inside Baseball for Little Leaguers. (I don't own it but a simple google search pulls it up.) This was at least five years *after* the pennants from the series were (first?) made. There you see all the logos from this set of pennants … 12 of the 16 that is. There is no (known) Orioles from this set, and the Phillies had drifted away from the blue jay. Notice the Reds logo … I guess they didn't want to put the mad bomber (my avatar!) on a book for kids. Interestingly, that's the logo that Keezer used for their Redlegs pennants.

(EDIT: I just noticed, the one Senators pennant does have a little baseball towards the tip … also noticed that on the book, unlike the pennant, the Dodger bum is identical except that he isn't smoking his cigar!)
So were these pennants used the same logo but weren’t part of that series?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16B46AE1-7207-4B80-B9B0-DFB4EE585DAA.jpg (20.5 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg 76EB4B65-F548-4236-B40E-46DA82F8AA78.jpg (18.5 KB, 333 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown