View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 06:16 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Great post. I'm kind of in between too.

I've built some older sets, but I wound up selling them off. It was frustrating to build because a couple took more than a year to build. But I built it card by card starting with 1 single pick up. And I regret selling them off now.

When I think about set building, I don't want to spend a year chasing down cards for the set. Especially if they're commons. Also, are complete sets going to be worth anything really down the road? I mean are people going to want to be stuck with useless commons? I know stars/HOFers will be worth and will continue to go up in value. But what about commons?

What I am thinking about doing is maybe picking one or two of my all time favorite sets and building those in really nice shape. In my case, it'd be 1957 Topps and then either 1961 Topps, 1962 Topps or 1975 Topps (my birth year).

Then with the rest of my money/time/effort/energy buying up mid grade HOFer vintage, HOFer RCs and pre-war stuff. I think those will retain value moreso than complete sets, especially if they're graded. That means I'd actually have to start dealing in graded, which I'm not keen on doing. But I would do it if it means it'd be easier for my loved ones to move once I am gone.

Or am I mistaken?

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.

Last edited by wdwfan; 12-16-2019 at 06:17 PM.