View Single Post
Old 09-25-2019, 08:18 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Guys, I think we are overthinking this. A hobby is supposed to be fun. If you can't have fun collecting a certain class of item because you have to worry about profitability, go buy a mutual fund instead.

There are myriad budget ways to collect postwar mainstream cards. Look at 'collector grade' stuff. You may find it more fun to assemble a cheap collection of lesser condition cards than stressing over the long term prospects for return on your 'investment'.
Just to be clear, I don't collect cards as an investment. I'm at the lower end of the economic totem pole and mostly just buy ungraded cards for sets I'm working on for fun.

BUT my day job is one that involves economic analysis, and I have fun applying the principles from that to my hobby and debating it with people. Not because I'm stressing about profitability, I haven't sold a card in over 25 years, but because speculating about the macro future of the hobby is part of the "fun" in it to me.

To each his own I say.