View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 10:34 AM
Matt Ferroni

Default The Long-Term Future of Vintage Cards

Wanted to get some seasoned collector's opinions on this - more just for conversation fodder as I know no one can predict the future and many factors are at play here (economy, next generation's interest in baseball/collectibles). What do you think the long-term (25-50 years) future is for vintage baseball cards.

Alot of people speculate that someone like me is part of the current up-tick bubble - 40 year old man who collected junk cards as a kid now with more financial stability getting back into a hobby for childhood nostalgia and small time side investment for next generation. However, I think I'm a little unique in that I grew up with Jose Canseco, Will Clark and Ken Griffey but now that I am back into collecting enjoy chasing low-mid grade cards of HOFers like Aaron, Mays and Clemente who I never saw play and honestly my dad was a bit of a Mantle fan but not exactly the type to talk at length about baseball greats.

I love the history of the game and art of vintage cards and hoping to instill this in my kids. But if the majority of vintage collectors currently are more in baby boomer range does that mean 25+ years from now there will be little base support collecting vintage cards at all? Is there any sense younger collectors are gravitating more to vintage or still chasing blue and purple refractor auto cards (or more likely not interested in cards at all as dealers not kids really drive that market). Will cards in general go the way of stamps and coins or is there something unique about cards that will there always be strong given their robust history? Will there be a resurgence of interest in tangible, historic collections as the digital age progresses or will the more millennial attitude prevail that there is nothing inherently valuable about a piece of cardboard as it has no practical utility? Will a box of PSA 8 Aarons some day sit next to a box of Hummels at a flea market for $5 apiece? Instead of stores that start "that $500 card used to be in the spokes of my bicycle" will we tell stories that start "that $2 card used to be in my safety deposit box encased in plastic?"