View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 10:01 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default where's the "lynch mob"?

As usual I agree with David. Nothing bannable here by a long shot.

The loyalty to LOTG on the part of many members here is easy to understand. We think of it as an oasis we can trust, especially in the current sh$tshow. It doesn't mean we think Al is incapable of making a call (in a difficult situation that probably had no ideal solution) that can be second-guessed. But it means we have a pretty high bar of proof, and we don't like the feeling that those criticizing Al might be acting out of some obscure personal grudge.

Then when we express that opinion, we get called a "lynch mob" and told that we think Al walks on water - that imagery is ridiculous. We are just expressing our views, exactly the same as those who are questioning his decisions. As long as it doesn't get personal (which unfortunately it has in a couple of cases in this thread, on both sides), that is what open discussion involves.

IOW, if you post an iconoclastic opinion here, that's your prerogative and your right - but how can you then complain about being disagreed with? Take it like an adult.

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I don't agree with the OP on everything, but I don't think he's said anything even close to being bannable. A chat board will have, and should have, a variety of opinions and takes, some unpopular. His comments are about the cleaning of collectibles, which, while many don't agree with his conclusions, are far from out of topic. And, while I disagree with one half of his argument, the other half was a fair point to bring to discussion and one can't logically argue otherwise. (And me disagreeing with an argument is far from reason for me to think someone should be banned or the post not posted). And, in fact, his original post led to a fruitful discussion on the topic of cleaning collectibles.

Though, yes, I can think of things that would be bannable, or 'timeoutable,' probably including someone who constantly starts posts completely off topic threads, repeatedly factually lies about a seller or is a constant temperamental a-hole in the extreme (timeout may suffice there).

I thought one's recent poster arguments on a recent hot topic were terrible and his repeated voicing of them annoying (and some wondered if he had ulterior motives), but it didn't even cross my mind that he should be banned or that he broke any written or unwritten chatboard rules. And I and others rebutted the arguments. It was all part of debate on a chatboard, and it's good for the mind to read opposing arguments. Echo chambers are no good, even when you agree with what is said.

Last edited by timn1; 08-28-2019 at 10:02 AM.