View Single Post
Old 06-26-2019, 05:49 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
How is asking for the information to be made available on the product an accusation of anything? I think it's more than fair to want to know how the game used materials you're buying in products was sourced. As I said, it is the same information you would ask for from any one single person who sold you an item described as game used. The signed insert cards feature statements about the card being signed in the presence of a representative of the company. The game used materials do not carry the same kind of assurance of authenticity.
Because it is understood the signatures of living players did not cost the company too much per auto, that the players make their money by repeating a squiggle 500 times in 75 minutes of visiting time, and collectors can value them accordingly as not inherently rare or valuable. They have social status for their playing era, but you are not buying limited resources.
If UD announced they bought a Mantle jersey for $5K and not the $30K we'd imagine, then each card carrying cloth could surely not be all too valuable....and thus - who will pay the big bucks to purchase those 4 card packs?
Keeping the number and history vague allows collectors to simply imagine a perceived value and spend accordingly, regardless of whether the jersey was only used in a pre-season game rather than when the shot was heard around the world.
Also, by keeping total numbers and availability to themselves we don't know whether it should be considered scarce and highly collectable or just part of a stream of available material.
It's why the modern stuff is fairly valueless outside of low number rookie stuff with it's accompanying patch.

Speaking of, I have only 11 memorabilia cards amongst my collection but I love this one: