View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 09:57 PM
John Startleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
The thing is, if PSA has graded a card as a "6", and I sell it as a "PSA 6", how have I done anything illegal?

If I know the card used to be a PSA 4, and it is now a PSA 6, how have I done anything illegal? Cards are routinely resubmitted and regraded constantly, with different grades; how do I determine which grade is correct? Answer is, I go by PSA's latest opinion.

Now, if I take a PSA 4 card, remove it from the holder, alter it, and then resubmit it to PSA, and PSA regrades it as a 6, how is that illegal? There is no law prohibiting it. PSA's "policy" is that certain alterations would preclude that card from getting a numerical grade; while some alterations are perfectly acceptable. That is only PSA's internal "policy" though; it is not codified in law. If it is now a PSA 6, and I sell it as such, that is not illegal.

Beckett grades "sheet-cut" cards. PSA doesn't. If I get an uncut sheet of 1979 Topps hockey, and cut the Gretzky out of it, and submit it to Beckett, they'll grade it. If I send it to PSA, they say in their "policy", that they won't grade it. But say in this instance, PSA grades the card as a 10; and I in turn, sell it as a PSA 10. How is that illegal? It is legal. Some collectors may not like it, but there is nothing "illegal" about it.

Steve
What is your opinion on money laundering.