View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 06:10 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Sure trimmed cards were running rampant pre-grading, but if you took the time to educate yourself - learn the difference between a factory cut and a non-factory cut - you probably wouldn't fall victim. PSA came along and what did they bring to the table? Nothing. Did they have some special lenses or some kind of special software that detects trimmed cards? No. They simply use their eyes (and maybe magnification, but any collector had access to that). The bottom line is that collectors were too damn lazy to educate themselves on what to look for. So, it's not that the hobby was so bad pre-grading (it sure is a lot worse now), it's collectors were too lazy. The funny thing is that what grading hoped to accomplish - catching altered cards so that buyers don't get burned - isn't being done. Is the hobby really better off with grading? Did grading really solve the doctored card problem? Or, and really think about this, did it make it worse with all the greed over high dollar cards?

I'm like Doug. I, too, find this whole situation very funny. This situation doesn't effect me or my collection one bit. I'm a mid-grade raw collector. In fact, I think it helps the value of my cards. Maybe people will wake up and realize they don't have to have that card in high grade mint condition with a pretty label and hologram sitting inside a slab? Maybe they'll wake up and realize that a nice well centered Ex to Ex/Mt card could bring them as much joy as the same card in a PSA 8, 9, or 10 holder? Maybe raw, mid grade cards will make a comeback as people really do start buying the card and not the holder instead of just preaching it? To all the people with high grade cards sitting in slabs, I do feel bad for you, but I'm also laughing at the same time. You went to bed last night wondering if you have any altered cards in your collection. You woke up this morning wondering the same thing and you're still wondering that as you read these threads. I don't have to wonder those things.
Whether we want to admit it or not...this affects all of our collections to some degree. There will be an exodus of sorts of a % of people from the hobby. I've considered this myself. Overall values of many cards will fall.