View Single Post
Old 04-27-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Years ago I had purchased 20 T206 cards in early GAI holders for very reasonable prices ranging from 2.5 to 7 on their grading scale.

I decided a couple of years ago to get them all in SGC holders, but I cracked them all out and submitted them raw.

Fortunately every card received a numerical grade from SGC.

Four received grades higher than their GAI grade.
Four received the same grade as their GAI grade.
Twelve received a lower grade from SGC, with three receiving a grade 2.5 lower.

Overall the group lost 13 grade points or .65 grade points/card.

I have since moved 10 of the cards, one of the no change cards and 9 of the cards with grade reductions. In SGC holders the ten cards have sold for an average of $40 per card more than my purchase price. Two of the sales were aided by having rarer backs that had escalated in price, but only 3 of the 10 resulted in losses.

I have kept the other ten cards from the ex-GAI group. They would appear to realize similar gains if and when they are sold. Overall I am pleased with the results. Had they been submitted in the GAI holders as a crossover submission would I have received 4 grade bumps in the right direction. I'll never know.

I have never played the crossover game with PSA. I am a collector and not a flipper or dealer. Buying at the right price, considering the condition of the card and the grade and the XYZ letters on the slab, has served me well when I sell due to upgrading my collection.
That's interesting to read. I just cracked out a T206 in a GAI 3 holder and sent it raw to SGC. I'm curious what it will come back as.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre