View Single Post
Old 12-24-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Yes. There was a shift to harder grades from PSA a while back and no matching shift from SGC. That is why their prices plummeted in comparison.

You don’t think there has now been a shift in SGC to tougher grades based on everything listed in one of their new holders?
I realize the question here wasn't addressed to me, but I would like to comment and give my educated opinion on these statements.

I disagree that there was no "matching shift" by SGC in their grading standards. While any collector's observations will be a small sample compared to all the cards out there, I noticed SGC toughening up on grading at least a couple years before these new holders were introduced. This would be especially pertaining to their grading on corners.

Many years ago you would find SGC 5s with corners that were too rounded for an "EX" graded card. SGC became tougher graders on these cards, knocking them down to VG-EX and lower starting a few years ago. At least this was my perception.

Also, I don't believe SGC's prices ever "plummeted" in comparison to PSA. Sure, SGC always lagged behind in pricing with cards of the same grade compared to PSA, but on the cards I follow (prewar) I have not witnessed any plummeting prices on SGC graded cards compared to PSA.

To answer your final question, yes, I have seen a shift to harder grading by SGC but it has been quite awhile before the change to the new holders.

€hû¢k Wölƒ