View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 11:23 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
And then this leads to "What constitutes restoration" and what does not...

My view is as follows...

Not Acceptable Restoration:
* Cutting or trimming anywhere on the pennant
* Coloring in missing portions of painted graphics
* Filling in holes with felt from another "donor" pennant
* Replacing, re-stitching or re-gluing the pennant's spine.
* And yes, I'd say that bleaching is alteration as well... albeit a slightly "lesser evil", perhaps.

Acceptable:
* Dabbing or cleaning of excess dust, dirt, grime, etc. with a cloth or towel
* Removal of Pet Hair or Dust with tape or a lint roller
* Ironing out excess wrinkles/creases (done from reverse side)

If any of the above practices deemed "Not Acceptable" are done, I feel it is incumbent upon the Seller to disclose them.
Just my opinions.... others will vary
Would you pay more for an all original 68 Camaro that looks terrible, doesn't run and sits like a paperweight in your driveway or one that's fully restored?

This is an interesting topic to me as well as I've often wondered about making repairs, outside of just cleaning/bleaching. Do you think a rare pennant with a rip in it, is more valuable or desirable with the rip left as is, or if it was stitched shut?

As far as unacceptable restoration for me...Mark's first 3 bullets definitely hit the mark (no pun intended). Those are all deal breakers for me. Bullets 4 and 5 however, wouldn't turn me off. It would be virtually impossible to tell if a spine has been restitched anyway...unless it was done very amateurishly. Bleaching doesn't really bother me either. Would you lose interest in the 68 Camaro because the seller didn't leave on 50 years of dirt?