View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 05:22 PM
Dave_Berg

Default 1949 Bowman variations- calling Ted Z

Please anyone chime in, but I know Ted Z is an authority of this issue.
I collect 1949 Bowman as a inherited obsession from my father who collected them as a teenager and ultimately as a collector later in life. I've inherited not only his passion with this issue, but the fruits of his years of collecting. I currently have 3 sets. 2 I consider Master sets, one of which is very high grade.
I was ready to put the best set away ( SD box finally) and not tinker with it anymore as potential upgrades were never ending. While looking over the 3 sets in preparation for this- I realized perhaps I've not completed the Master set at all and there are many more variations beyond the known.
To recap what I know:
1) The base set is a 240 card set
2) There are 12 accepted VARIATIONS ( Comprising the Master Set)as follows:
-Mize...........Blue...........Name of front/ No name on front
-Priddy.........Blue..........Name of front/ No name on front
-Rizzuto......Orange.......Name on front/ No name on front
-Salkeld......orange.......Name of front/No name on front
Zolak..........Green........Name of front/No name on front
-Brazle.........Yellow..Name on front.../ Blue..Name on front, script back
-Dillinger.....Light Blue...Name on front/ ...Blue..Name of front,script back
- Evans...Red..Name of front/ orange...Name on front, script back
-Fitzgerald...Green..Name on front/ Green..Name on front, script back
-Majeski....Green...Name on front/ Orange..Name on front,script back
-Murtaugh..Red..Name on front/ Red...Name on front, script back

I understand that there are those that differentiate that cards #1-73 were printed on either white or gray stock

Now my problem is background color as which I have multiple variations. I under stand the 3rd printing sheet had errors of both GRAY/SLATE and PINK background colors with the PINK being quite scarce. I have multiple players with GRAY/SLATE backgrounds ( Including Rizzuto) and a few with PINK.
Is there any way to know which players have this ERROR/VARIATION of having either a PINK or SLATE background as well as the usual background color?

Also I have multiple players that have multiple background colors...
Example- #132 Evans( Name on front) I have with RED,ORANGE and YELLOW backgrounds
#78 Zoldak I have with ORANGE, LIGHT BLUE and GRAY backgrounds.
I have 26 different players with different background colors .
Is there any complete background color resource? How can we say the Master set is 252 when there are so many background variations?
Any input would be appreciated. Unfortunately I'll be awaya from my collection for a week so I won't be able to refer to it to answer any questions or add pics.
Thanks
Dave