View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 11:16 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Isn't it fo sure?

For me the lines get blurred when it comes to hip hop and rap (Unintended reference to Robin 'I didn't plagiarize the Great Marvin Gaye' Thicke). I guess I just categorize it as good music whether it be 'The Message', 'No Sleep til Brooklyn', 'Naughty By Nature' 'or 'Straight Outta Compton'. I just view it as songs I like but could not say if they would be officially rap or hip hop. It seems a bit easier when it comes to punk, heavy metal, new wave, power pop, etc. Just the opinion from someone whose personal Top 500 (which it typed) includes everything from Paul Anka to PIL.

Thank you for no politics. I work in D.C. and can only say that I am glad I get two extra days off as my building is in the official security zone and closed for two days.
Rap is to hip hop as heavy metal is to rock; a subset.

There is a fantastic documentary series on Netflix about the genesis of hip hop. Goes through the whole East Coast-West Coast thing. The great part is that almost all of the pioneering musicians are still alive and agreed to sit for interviews, so there is very little speculation needed as to what they were thinking, etc.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...