View Single Post
Old 11-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Seems the common thread is moisture/humidity. The cards from my childhood predate CCC but the ones I just acquired, who knows? I wonder if TPGs care about this when examining a card. Unless super extreme, I wouldn't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Alcorn View Post
Hi Guys,

Card Collectors Company in New York was one of the biggest dealers in the 1960s-1980s, and they had massive amounts of brand new Topps cards from the 60s & 70s. Somewhere in the late 70s - early 80s they had a fire in their warehouse and thousands upon thousands of cards were water damaged from the sprinklers. The cards show up on ebay generally in lots and they will look pristine except for the warping from the water.

I got a lot of about 100 1963s from a collector in MN that looked perfect in the scan, but when they arrived all the cards were bent and some had dark water stains on them. It is possible that the cards you have just won were from Card Collectors Co., but that does not, of course, explain the general tendency of 1963s to bend somewhat. I once saw a dealer's stock who had bought about 100,000 or so cards from Card Collectors Co. in the early 1980s, and the cards were all warped. He had some of them in huge stacks on a large table and they were all bent in unison. The boxes they had come in (and about the first 25 cards in each stack) all showed dirty water stains on them from the sprinkler water and smoke, but if you saw them from a distance they all looked perfectly mint.

Hope this helps,

Jeff