View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016, 08:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

When she shrugged off your advice you should have bought the Musial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
The ugly take-away from this thread is of course the gratuitous misogyny, but the underlying gripe has some validity, that is, dealers at large shows who leave friends or relatives in charge of high-value goods they know little or nothing about.
I haven't visited a large show in over twenty years, but when i was putting together sets back in the '80's, i can recall stopping at a table at a natcon where the proprietor had just left his spouse at the helm, and as i sorted through a stack of near mint '52 Bowman commons, i found a Musial card that had obviously slipped in by mistake. When i asked the lady for a price, she replied confidently that the commons were all a buck each - even as i held the Musial up in her field of view. On a tight card budget at that time, i was sorely tempted, but my conscience won the battle, and i told her that the card was misplaced. As no good deed goes unpunished, she seemed to disbelieve me and shrugged off the advice. So, i still wonder if other shoppers found some great deals at that table.