Thread: David Ortiz
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2016, 07:21 PM
Steve Birmingham

I'd like to see Ortiz get the MVP, but I'm fairly certain he won't unless something crazy happens.

Not running well?! This year he's got 2 SB without being caught. Already it's the third most bases he's stolen in a season and a long way to go. He does run like a large 40 year old power hitter, and the Sox have seldom been a team big on running.

I don't really buy the "he's just a DH" argument for any player. Especially since people making that argument are usually the same ones who downplay defensive ability when considering players. (Not a specific statement about anyone here, just a general observation) Either defense matters or it doesn't.

I also take what's an odd view of the MVP. I don't see it as something that should be only about great stats and being on a winning team. So many times you see a player from the series winner picked, when there's players with similar numbers on crummy teams that get few votes. Who's more valuable the guy who has excellent stats on a team that would probably be a good team without him or the guy who is pretty much the only decent player on his team?
That's less common in baseball, and with a long season it's less likely for one good player to prop up a bad team, but in football it's pretty crazy.

Steve B