View Single Post
Old 06-23-2016, 11:52 AM
Jeremy L.

Thanks for all of the informative responses.

This post below really gave me the information I was looking for especially the bolded parts. I think those might be the key reasons why the Clemente commands more dollars. It seems like reverie is more important, in this case, than who was the better player, the card's known graded population, and the relative popularity of the two sets, all put together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Beldini View Post
Aaron was a better player than Clemente; a better player than all but a fist full of players in MLB history. But nobody is debating "better player." Clemente is a God in the Hispanic community. Aaron doesn't have anywhere near that kind of following in any community. Clemente is revered in Pittsburgh... not-so-much Aaron in Milwaukee/Atlanta. Plus Clemente won 2 championships (owning 1971); died a heroic death; his rookie card is scarcer than Hank's... Hank was a great great player; Roberto was an iconic player that was great. There is more demand for "iconic" than for "great."

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertC View Post
"As far as I'm concerned, (Hank) Aaron is the best ball player of my era. He is to baseball of the last fifteen years what Joe DiMaggio was before him. He's never received the credit he's due." - Mickey Mantle
That says a lot right there that the Aaron may be undervalued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagevault13 View Post
I have lived in Atlanta/NE Georgia my entire life and I honestly can't recall hearing anything but admiration for Aaron. He has been a great ambassador for the city. I understand that his remarks in USA Today upset some people. I admit that I was bothered at the time as they seemed to paint with a very broad brush. I honestly don't think he meant the comment to be interpreted to include as many people as it seemed to implicate. With all that Aaron encountered chasing Ruth's record (racist hate mail, death threats), I think that he handled the situation with much grace and class. Many would have been much more bitter and turned their back on the city, team, and fans. He has done just the opposite as he has continued to be a vital part of the organization and community.
That is really good and nice to hear.

Jeremy Lee

Last edited by gomaz; 06-23-2016 at 11:53 AM.