View Single Post
Old 06-02-2016, 06:19 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
Numbers only do not tell the entire whole story. There is something about the wow factor that numbers do not show. Aaron hit a lot of HR's. Mantle hit a lot of HR's. Mantle does not get added statistical goodies for hitting them higher, farther and with more power - the stat line does not show this. All the stat line shows is a HR for Aaron and a HR for Mantle. Same applies in the Ryan case. I will back down to say he could have been the greatest thrower, with other pitchers being better pitchers.

The highlighted line was true for both Mantle and Ryan and, from what I've read, even Koufax.

The shear awe that their performances produced stands out over time.

But, perhaps, the one player, who, more than any other, (IMHO) was so very much more than his gross statistics was Roberto Clemente.

I am eternally grateful that his brilliance was finally shown on a national stage in the 1971 World Series. What a trill it was to watch him and his great passion for the game!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 06-02-2016 at 06:19 PM.