View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 10:49 PM
Steven Finley

I really don't know what to tell you. Just seems like a mess on all fronts. The auction was labeled wrong and I don't see a Fleer lot in the same auction. You bid anyway and didn't check what you received. Sold some. Never contacted the house. Months later, I assume, the house realizes a mistake and you guys can't come to terms. There is no cut and dry answer to this problem IMO because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanesq View Post
I am in a dispute with an auction company.

I won a lot described as this for $880:
484 Diff 1998 Fleer signed cards (though they picture 1997 topps of only 8 players) An absolute gold mine of signed cards, this amazing binder has QUANTITIES of many of the key players, but NO DUPLICATION.
When the binder arrived, I never bothered to check the cards, having bought tens of thousands of cards over the years from them.

I never really cracked open the binder more than a couple times to check a friends wantlist. It was not until I received a call from the Auction Company owner asking me to return the 1997 Topps that I realized that I didnt receive the right lot with the stars. Unfortunately I had sold 5 cards from the lot, all commons, the best one being Ruben Rivera. I sent the binder back and the owner tells me we are missing 14 cards, no one major who was pictured.

I offered to pay the fair value of the 5 I sold or even 14 cards which was $2 to $3 per card and was told by the auction owner that he was not willing to do that and that he was going to keep the set I won (which had 484 cards) and send me back the now 350 card signed lot because I must have been happy with it as I never contacted him earlier on my own (this was due to more serious issues I was dealing with heathwise so I never check it as I trusted this guy).

To me, I am being totally defrauded as the auction owner knows that I didnt receive what I paid for as clearly the 4 arod,2 jeters, 2 bonds, 3 pedros and 3 randy johnsons are what made the lot worth $800+. The other lot does not have the same star power.

I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR THOUGHTS ON HOW THIS SHOULD BE HANDLED.
I just can't wrap my head around the bold statements. Your high bid on the lot was based upon the stars listed in a description that didn't match the pictures, didn't bother to check the contents when it arrived and only now feel defrauded when they called to have it returned. Why did you not feel defrauded when you sold some and contact the house? I sincerely hope your health issues are behind you, and baseball cards are indeed an insignificant part of life all things considering, but it just doesn't seem like a clear case of fraud or deception. Really, I'm at a loss.