View Single Post
Old 11-29-2015, 02:26 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybuddyinc View Post
"Major League Baseball does not consider this effort an official no-hitter, listing Hawkins as having only completed 8 innings pitched.[1] On September 4, 1991 the Committee for Statistical Accuracy, appointed by Commissioner Fay Vincent, changed the definition of a no-hitter to require that a pitcher must throw at least nine full innings and a complete game for the no-hitter to be official. Since Hawkins played for the visiting team, the White Sox never batted in the ninth inning, meaning Hawkins lost credit for a no-hitter. The game was also notable for being a double no-hitter into the sixth inning (and a double perfect game into the fifth), as White Sox starter Greg Hibbard also pitched very well."

Being a Baseball "purist" these rules that re-define "Complete" games have always pissed me off. Baseball games are determined by innings played. If your the visiting team pitcher that is behind in the ninth, you do not pitch the ninth, BUT it is a COMPLETE game. Same thing with rain (or whatever) shortened games. Even if the game is called after 4 and a half innings, it is a COMPLETE game. There are many pitchers who have "lost" a no hitter or perfect game based on these "anti-baseball rulings." Ridiculous !!! They are all, imo, no hitters or perfect games. If you want to put an astrix or put innings in parenthesis, that's fine.

////////////// end of rant
I also think it's fine to credit a pitcher with a complete game or no hitter even if his team loses and he doesn't have to pitch the 9th. The game was completed. I do not feel a pitcher should get that same credit if a game is called for weather after 5 or 6 innings. A 5 inning perfect game just isn't a perfect game to me.