View Single Post
Old 11-10-2015, 09:08 PM
Just/in C.ornett

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornell View Post
I think I can imagine it. Here's what comes to my imagination - my consignor fees pay the rent and much else for the auction houses. They offer me 0% commissions because they are digging deep into my pocket on the buyer side

Is that the "protection" you're crowing about? By the way, why do you get to post anonymously? Did you get some special dispensation from Leon?

Bill
That's EXACTLY what I am saying. You don't sell the card unless it makes sense for you. If you have to pay 20% of the sales price, you are encouraged to buy and sell with a long term perspective. It keeps speculators out and makes people hold assets longer. For example, are you going to buy and sell houses and pay your broker 6% each time over and over again without considering the brokerage? Absolutely not! The fee structures of the auction houses are there for a reason. If you or anyone else doesn't like their fees, don't use them. If you can do it better yourself and maximize your value, go for it! I would argue however that most collectors are far from able to truly maximize the value of their cards like an auction house would. It's clear to me because these auction houses are still in business. If they weren't appreciated or needed, they wouldn't be around.

I spoken enough of my mind for the evening and for a while. Take care guys... I'll check back periodically, but don't expect me to post or contribute often.

Justin