Thread: Future HOFers
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 06:56 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I would agree Halladay was better, but Guidry had some fabulous seasons and I don't think the difference is as dramatic as you say.
I am for the great talent over a shorter span than the compilers (not talking about Halladay), and Guidry would certainly qualify under that. However, I think I'm also a bit of a tough grader for the HOF at the same time and feel it has gotten watered down with a lot of the inductees... I would agree in giving Halladay the edge over Guidry, and that's coming from a Yankees fan. I think Guidry comes up a bit short in the same way Mattingly does. They were really great for a while but I still feel as though some thresholds need to still be met (Sub 200 wins for Guidry). I don't think the arbitrary stat thresholds are an exact science though and I need to look at everyone's career as a whole and compare them to their contemporaries to accurately assess a player.

I just loved how Halladay in the PED era and pitch count/innings limit era, led the league/ or was near top in innings and complete games all the time.

He also didn't play on some of the greatest Jays teams and still ended with an excellent winning percentage.

Last edited by yanksfan09; 08-25-2015 at 06:57 PM.