View Single Post
Old 07-17-2015, 04:32 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
In 1969, Joe DiMaggio was voted Baseball's Greatest Living Player. In honor of Joe DiMaggio's 100th birthday (Nov 25, 2014), I lay out a case for Baseball's Greatest Living Player being Derek Jeter.

http://jasoncards.wordpress.com/2014...living-player/

Personally, despite my analysis, I would still vote for Hank Aaron. Nonetheless, my analysis was more in the spirit of who would actually win. Take a look if you're a Joe D. fan, a Jeter fan, or just a fan of really long, half-baked analyses of baseball stats. And then chime in. Who do you regard as baseball's greatest living player?
Jeter would win if we were seeking the most overrated player of all time, with his 112 OPS+ indicating he was twelve percent better than an average player offensively. In checking several years ago, he was just one point ahead of Alan Trammel in this regard. In addition, as Keith Olberman pointed out in the face of much opposition, he was actually below average defensively for about the last ten years!

Greatest living player (PED cheaters excepted, of course), based on runs created vs league average during the era in which he played is Willie Mays, and that's just offensively. Defensively, IMHO, the best center fielder ever!

It's not just opinion anymore,

Larry