View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 05:52 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I think Pete and Leon are dead on. Basically, PWCC is just calling out the cards that so many of us collectors have historically paid premiums for, cards which fit the "buy the card, not the holder" mantra. As has been posted above, this is a trend that's been around for a long, long time.

Collectors used to, and still do, hunt for such diamonds of eye appeal in the rough, so to speak. PWCC is just hanging a lantern on them.

Unnecessary, really, as collectors who aren't impressed by mere sticker grade and who are the type to bid into cards with eye appeal that transcends the sticker grade will do so readily without the lantern. That said, no harm, no foul.

Going back years and years now, we can see VCP data will always contain some beautiful card that is a real anomaly of eye appeal for its grade, and in turn breaks out way over the old VCP average.

The last Clemente RC in REA comes to mind. It was a PSA 4 which wound up selling for PSA 6 money as I recall. There was a stunning e90-1 Shoeless Joe in HA last year that was a "lowly" 1.5, and sold for a few whole grades higher, in terms of historical averages.

But yes, to some extent the secret is out in that more and more collectors are buying the card as opposed to the holder. As a buyer, I think it used to feel that the vast majority would ignore the fact that each card is a unique piece, despite some having the same grade-- and you could almost count on being able to "steal" an exceptional card for its grade for just a hair more than the average looking specimen. But now we are seeing those special cards really close the gap with the next grade up.

Is the opposite also true? Have prices come down for technically higher graded cards with less eye appeal (centering, diamond cut, or registration issues)?