Thread: Sales Tax?
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2015, 06:02 AM
Jeff C.

How long are you put on hold before you actually speak to a live person at the IRS?

I think that the Internet truly represents (ed) a free market economy where interstate commerce is not hampered by taxes. However, I can see the states' point of view that they are not getting the revenue that is due them. Brick and mortars are at a disadvantage unless they have an Internet site. Of course it also depends on what % of their business is done over the Internet. Internet retail tax in every state will do a couple of things: 1) shrink the interstate market place back to a local market place, and 2) drive shoppers off the Net entirely. Currently in my state, it's cheaper for me to buy a book off Amazon than it is for me to go to the bookstore. When the 2 sources become the same price/tax wise, then the decision on how to buy will change to another factor.

Ok, economics gurus, please weigh in. By the way, the flat tax idea is kinda growing on me. Can't remember which candidate is pushing it though.