View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 07:11 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Chris

I do appreciate your review. I'll consider what you revealed when decided whether or not to add to my already-too big library. I have the autobiography and the Alexander book.

Using 'batsman' instead of 'hitter' is okay with me as that WAS what they were called at the time and that adds to the accuracy of the story.

I'm not fan, however, of books that have not been sufficiently edited, which your final lines showed. Sounds like he relied too heavily on WordPerfect and not the human approach.

You mentioned that there were what you see as definitive biographies of Wagner, Ruth, Mathewson, Johnson, and Lajoie.

The two I own that I consider absolute definitive biographies of Ruth and Johnson are Robert Creamer's 'Babe: The Legend Comes to Life' and our own Hank Thomas's ode to his grandfather, 'Walter Johnson: Baseball's Big Train.'

Both of these books are priceless and incomparable as far as I'm concerned.

What biographies of Wagner and Mathewson do you consider the best?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente