View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 08:45 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
I personally cringe each time they give a description about a famous players career. For example, if you are auctioning off a Babe Ruth autographed baseball, just please describe the baseball! No need for 4 paragrahs at the beginning outlining Babe Ruth's career. If you are auctioning off a Honus Wagner T206, just please describe the card! No need for a 5,000 word diatribe on Honus Wagner's career. I'm sure we all know who Babe Ruth and Honus Wagner are already.....
As much as this bothers me so does boosting up an average or below average player. If they are new cards of a draft pick or prospect that struggled his first year but shows signs of hope that would make sense to try and sell the player. Yet when it is a player that has been out of the game or even dead for over 50 years it makes no sense, they aren't going to improve their numbers.

One that I always think of is from a Goodwin auction for a Germany Smith Mayo.

Quote:
An outstanding glove man with exceptional range, Smith would have been a superstar if he only could have hit. With a career average of .243, teams found room for Smith--his glove saved runs and made him valuable. But if he could have boosted his average to the standards of the day, Smith might be remembered as one of the finest to ever play.
*emphasis added by me

Last edited by bn2cardz; 03-19-2015 at 08:46 AM.