View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 10:10 PM
Bill Gregory

Clyde and Brian-thank you both, gentlemen. /tip of the cap

I think later tonight, I will do some research, and learn a little about the very beginnings of the Baseball Hall of Fame. Over the years, I've heard all kinds of yarns spun, but I would like to separate fact from fiction, and ascertain who, exactly, made Cooperstown a reality, and what the exact rational behind the Hall was meant to be.

In my opinion, the Hall of Fame was always meant to acknowledge the greats of the game, as well as the great moments from the game's history. By greats of the game, I mean the titans, the immortals. And the voters, over time, have, again, in my opinion, done a great disservice to the Hall. They've let in too many men who were marginally worthy, at best. There has been too much cronyism. "Hey, you were a good player, and a great friend of Frankie Frisch. Congratulations, you're in!" And when I look at some of the great players who haven't gotten in, it's just shameful.

But at the same time, there are men that transcend the game, and they deserve to be in the Hall not only because of what they did in the box score, but how they changed the game for the better. And Minnie Minoso is one of those rare individuals who belongs in. He was a spectacular talent. He brought excitement to the game the way that Jackie Robinson, Willie Mays, and Roberto Clemente did. He could do everything well. He had the speed, he could hit for power, and he was a hell of a fielder. But to look only at his career numbers in considering his eligibility for the Hall of Fame is a great disservice to the man. We all know that he spent three years playing in the Negro Leagues, three years in his prime when he could have been in the Major Leagues, if only he had been allowed to play there. That certainly impacts his final numbers. But Minnie Minoso should be in the Hall because, like Jackie Robinson before him, Minnie Minoso helped to make the game truly the National Pastime. Robinson opened the door so black men could play the game. Minoso opened it further so any man living in America could play the game if they wanted to, and they were good enough.

Baseball only reached it's full glory when everybody was allowed to play. And the game as it is now is a fascinating amalgamation. Now, somebody else would have eventually done it if Minnie Minoso hadn't. This is true. But how many greats would have never had the chance to play if he hadn't taken that first bold step? Without Minnie Minoso, there might have never been a Roberto Clemente in Pittsburgh. The Big Red Machine might have never happened. Do the Reds go to four World Series, and win it all in 1975 and 1976 without Dave Concepcion and Cesar Geronimo winning their nine Gold Gloves at shortstop, and in center field, or without Tony Perez hitting all those home runs?

Minnie Minoso was a superstar on the field, and he made the game better forever. When he could no longer play, he was a goodwill ambassador for the game he loved.

His dreams of being in Cooperstown fell on deaf ears while he was alive. While that wrong can never be righted, because he won't be there to enjoy the day, ultimately, he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame with the other greats. Minnie Minoso helped to build the game that is so popular now. And every time some new hotshot pitcher from Korea, or slugger from Cuba signs a Major League contract, the league, and fans everywhere, need to say thank you to Mr. Minoso. We owe it to him to right this wrong.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.