View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 10:09 AM
Steve Birmingham

I'd do a few things.

1)I'd reverse the turnaround time on the tiers.
2)That would allow extra scrutiny on more expensive cards.
3)Authenticity would not be pass/fail, there would be the option to decline an opinion until later or until more information was available.
4) The slab would have an enclosed slip like they do now, but would also have a compartment for a form that included detailed information. That form should answer any questions regarding why the grade might be less than the appearance would make you think.
5)Recognition for cards that are factory, but with odd cuts or that are undersize.
6) Slabs with gaskets that are both thick enough to work properly, and are available in colors. T206s look good in SGC slabs, but I don't think I'd say the same for 71 Topps or 1950 Drakes.
7) Maybe an option to include a litmus strip to monitor acidity of the environment inside the slab for sets on certain types of cardboard.

Business model stuff.
1) A registry that would include other grading companies. So you could have for instance 10 cards from steves grading, 20 from PSA, 5 from SGC and 3 from Beckett. The different companies would be weighted if it went beyond that. So maybe include GAI, but with a lower weighting.
2) A solid image database including front and back scans of all cards graded.
3) That would allow a no-slab grading option. We've never really had that, coins pretty much abandoned it, stamps has had it for over a century and while slabbing is an option it's been mostly rejected. The certificates usually have a photo attached that's essentially tied to the cert with something like a notary seal.

Umm....I guess I've thought a lot about this. If I was more organized I'd probably have the slabs prototyped already, but I know I'm not organized enough to make it work.

Steve B