View Single Post
Old 02-22-2015, 12:03 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default I'm guessing no impact

It is incorrect to say the inventory is "increasing". They are not making any more T206's, as long as you don't count the Jason Mars Wagner in the discussion. What I think you are seeing with the population increases is a handful of old timers sets being made available, but more often cards being crossed from one TPG to another. The power of the registry can not be ignored and PSA clearly dominates the battle of the Registries. My T206 set is all in PSA holders for consistency reasons and all in PSA holders primarily because of the registry. When I look for upgrades to my set I am very willing to buy SGC cards and cross them over to PSA if I can get the card for enough less to cover the grading fees. I'm sure there are collectors who cross cards the other direction as well. But I suspect far more cards are going from SGC to PSA which is one reason you see the larger jumps in inventory levels for PSA. I also suspect most collectors do not alert the TPGs that a card has been cracked so the pop levels are too high and will get farther and farther out of line as time goes by.

As for the number of collectors for T206, I believe this will largely remain constant or slightly increase over time due to the popularity of the set, the abundance of cards available and the growing population. Non mainstream sets may not fare as well but I think T206 is safe for another 20-30 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 View Post
I notice prices are almost unchanged over the two year period. Have the cards plateaued? What are the chances with increased inventory and a decreasing number of collectors that the future prices will start to decline?