Thread: Instant Classic
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 03:31 PM
Belltown Vintage

You guys keep saying that something is 'luck' because it could have gone a different way. That's true of everything in life. I'm lucky I'm not breaking a finger every time I touch one to the keyboard.

Let's flip things around. I could say that the Packers were lucky that Seattle put them in a position to win (I don't believe that, but I could say it). The Packers then removed their good luck through a series of bad decisions and poor execution: Was it bad luck for the Packers that they decided not to return the interception that could have iced the game? Was it bad luck that McCarthy decided to run three straight plays when a first down and a field goal would have won it? Was it bad luck that McCarthy apparently failed to emphasize that blockers had to block on onside kicks and that there was a player behind them ready to catch it? Was it bad luck that they somehow allowed Wilson to through a helium ball up in the air and complete the 2-point conversion, or was it just poor execution by the two players who were standing around while the ball was clearly floating through the air in their direction? Were any of McCarthy's decisions bad luck?