View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 01:32 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
Two years ago, I sold a large portion of my collection. I sent these items to Rick Probstein, since I did not feel like taking the time to list them myself. The sales were just short of $20k and I took a very close look at the auctions. I could find no examples of shilling on any of my auctions. Now, does this mean that no shilling goes on? Of course not. But, how can Rick be held accountable when he cannot possibly be positive of what is going on at any time? I can tell you that I didn't bid on any of my items. But, I have access to my father's ebay account and there is no way that you could have figured shilling, since at the time (he is deceased now) my dad was bidding on dozens of items every month. I could have easily shilled. I sleep well with a little less money in my pocket knowing that I did things on the up and up.

Rick consigns 10,000+ items a month. How can he also police the activities of every single person that consigns with him? And who is to say that there aren't competitors out there that bid on his auctions just to hurt his reputation?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. In my dealings with Rick, he has been a stand up guy and I've had no issues with his integrity whatsoever. My two cents.
Generally true statement...from what I know. It's become more a matter of the consigners knowing they can get away with it...so they continue to. It is/would be extremely difficult to police this...dont buy from Probstein...and dont pay more than you want for ANYTHING...noone's got a gun to your head!