View Single Post
Old 12-24-2014, 01:19 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Thanks for the replies. With the PIEDMONT 350 back I know the odds of it being a "Doyle N.Y. NAT'L" have improved from being a ba-zillion to one odds down to a million to one odds But under my magnifying glass there appears to be the remnants of additional letters……..
I've soaked plenty of cards before, but I won't put this one in my sink because I would be afraid of removing whats left of what appears to me to be scratched off lettering.
Heres a possible theory: Maybe some ten year old back in 1911 said "This isn't Larry Doyle who pitches for the NY NATL team" "It's Joe Doyle who pitches for the NY AMER team" and scratched of NATL! My 1950s and 1960s Topps sets have PLENTY of team and name changes scratched out in ink!
Ted you suggested I examine the card under magnification, if I took this card to a jewelry store could they look at it for me using a loupe, or do I need to put it under a microscope?
Also if this IS a one in a million card (and I really dought that it is)(but there is something there) wouldn't PSA or SGC grade it as the N.Y. NAT'L variation in poor condition?
Larry

Last edited by LuckyLarry; 12-24-2014 at 01:21 PM.