View Single Post
Old 12-23-2014, 05:13 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I would like to hear from Chris S.--who wrote an article in Old Cardboard-- and others who collect them, but I thought every player was at least theoretically possible in each of the colors that any other is found. If so, you've got a lot left. Also, I believe there are slight tint differences in known colors, maybe due to fading or minor production differences in materials, that could give the appearance of even more colors. Finally, it may be that there is no definitive statement of what players are on what colors, so that you're always left to wonder if you have them all. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, and I am by no means an expert, so here's to hoping I'm wrong

EDITED to add: man I'm slow to respond today.
You're probably right about color availability. While I have noticed a few players tend to show up in certain colors more often than others, it could be possible that each player was available in each color. I haven't seen much rhyme or reason to it.

It would be fascinating to see one of these sheets in uncut form. How many to a sheet? By the time they were done with this promo, did they produce more of player X than player Y? I swear Honus must be the most commonly occurring one in the set while there are some extremely tough "commons." That can't be due just to Honus' popularity because Walter Johnson is a really tough one too.

It's too bad Larry isn't around. I never really tracked color variations. I don't know how seriously he pursued these, but I know he was doing it early on.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664