View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 02:55 PM
Bry@n

Default Flash Them or Keep Them Hidden?

After spending a decade in New Orleans I can tell you that this question has been considered by many thirsty women (in this case the correct answer is always “Flash Them”).

I would like to know how you would answer this question regarding your cards. Is it wise to publicize a card by showing it to other collectors on a public forum like Net54? It is certainly fun, but what does it do to value?

For common cards there is no reason not to show them. However, for rarer cards I have heard people say that showing a card can decrease its value because it is perceived as being more common than it really is -- in the back of their minds future buyers may think “well I have seen that before somewhere so it can’t be too rare.”

On the other hand, if you don’t show off a rare card a little bit there are many people who won’t know that you have one and may carry on not even knowing that the cards exists. In other words, by showing a card you create a market for it and advertise to potential buyers/trade partners.

I realize that showing and discussing cards is highly enjoyable, I enjoy it too, so we can leave the pleasure aspect out of this. I am more curious about everyone’s feelings on the demand and economics side of the ledger.

I am looking forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts on this. Gracias.