View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Todd Schultz

Default I might be taking ephemera collecting a bit too far.

I collect the m101-4 through m101-6 sets produced by Felix Mendelsohn. Over the years I came to knew that his namesake son was a somewhat interesting character who wrote 3 rather unspectacular pulp novels in the 60's, as well as having been in the press corps (I think) during WWII. Anyway, I won this “novel” authored by Felix Mendelsohn junior AT AGE 10–basically a vanity press item but I guess it helps when your dad is a publisher. When it arrived I saw that he inscribed it to his mother–the publisher’s wife Rose, and that he dedicated it to mom and dad. Also, there was a letterhead of the young author enclosed. Of course, I was also interested in that it was published in 1917, during the m101 era. I’m pretty sure that chasing stuff like this makes clear that I need professional help, although at least the story is highlighted by the brothers playing baseball and bringing home the title.

If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.