View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 04:22 AM

Default Stadium dirt confession

Although it is definitely a fringe collectible, I own three different vials of mound dirt in my personal collection. Two of the three I scooped off the mound IP, the third I traded with a close friend and we have joked about it for years. Cost = ZERO $$ Memories and story swapping = priceless

October 1, 1993- Nolan Ryan and George Brett's last game in uniform, last game at the Texas Ranger's Arlington Stadium. I had seats directly behind home plate for this game, and on a whim, asked an usher for permission to scoop some mound dirt for my Ryan collection. He surprisingly obliged. Remember, this was 1993, not 2014.

September 27, 1999- Last game ever at historic Tigers Stadium. Great game, great memories at "The Corner". I took my wife there on our first date together in August, 1989.

2002 World Series Game 7- The Angels finally win the big one after over 40 years as a franchise. I did not get to attend this terrific WS because of the impending birth of my second child, but a close friend secured the dirt and swapped for some of the 1993 Ryan mound dirt.

Although these are not essential to my collection, I have had a lot of fun through the years laughing about all three with other collector friends.

Here are photos of the Oct. 1, 1993 Ryan- Brett game, my Ryan "mound dirt" and my "Last game at Tigers Stadium" and Game 7 2002 World Series dirt.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 10-05-2014 at 05:31 AM.