View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 07:43 AM
Steve Birmingham

It's really about the registry and making that more interesting.

Do they still list prices for cards that don't exist? The last one I saw had prices for cards in conditions that weren't in the pop reports.

Love it or hate it the registry stuff is part of the hobby now. We can all dislike elevated prices based on condition (But hardly ever when we're selling )

But the hidden advantage is that a lot of stuff that's in the hobby now might be lost or remain hidden away without the high prices. Would the black swamp cards have simply been kept if they were only worth a couple dollars each? Or any of the other big finds? A handful of times I've been in shops and got lucky buying a small collection when the dealer either passed or the seller passed.

That's a tricky etiquette thing. Only with sellers I've known a long time and only with permission. One was a batch of very nice condition cards about 5 years old. The dealer offered some token amount and the seller passed. Right after he left I just said " may I" and the answer was "go get it" Another was a guy walking in with a couple hundred RC cola cans and asking if they wanted them. To my surprise they just pointed at me and said "We don't but he does". A couple others were where the seller went on an errand for a couple minutes and the dealer sort of presold the stuff to me before they got back.

Steve B