View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Yes, Hernandez had more putouts and assists. A lot more. You think playing in the era of astro turf might have something to do with the putouts? Perhaps. Regardless, I've never made the argument that they were equal defensively. Hernandez is universally regarded as the GOAT at first. No problem with that. But Olerud was really, really close (see the above "runs saved" stat).

As for their offense...I don't quite follow. You're saying, "Sure, Hernandez hit that well but neither did Olerud...except that other time that he did." So Hernandez had his 1979 but Olerud had 1993 and 1998 that were both better.

How do I know first base is easier and less important than LF? Cuz Mo Vaughn, David Ortiz, and Miguel Cabrera all play(ed) 1B and would have no prayer of ever being able to play LF.
Normalize for American League being easier to hit in if you want to argue about Astroturf. Putting a bunch of slow guys in left field is silly. What is also silly is comparing fielding bunts, sharper reaction times, and a host of other pitch by pitch skills versus, essentially, catching fly balls and making the shortest relay and throws to home of any outfield position.

Anyway, agree to disagree.